There was a little girl who
looked forward to the first day of kindergarten.
All summer she heard about what fun school was
and all the wonderful things she would learn and do.
Then the big day was here.
First day of school…ever.
Right from the first day the little girl knew
this was one of those things that adults
don’t tell the whole truth about.
They don’t lie but they make it seem something
other than what it really is.
1) you have to get up early… really this isn’t a good thing
2) you have to hurry…no lolligagging…but
rushing is not how mornings are meant to be
Then once at school the “not quite the truth” continues
3) you have to sit where the teacher wants you to…even if it isn’t by a window
4) you have to stay in your seat… but sometimes you just need to wander around
5) you have to listen even when the lesson is boring…and it is often boring
6) you can’t talk unless you raise your hand first and
then you can only talk about the “subject”…even if you have something great to say
7) you have to stay until the teacher says you can go,..that is nonsense,
maybe there is something interesting happening in the hall or outside…
you can’t even go to the bathroom without “permission”
And the really horrible thing is
8) you have to go to school whether you want to or not…unless you are sick…
you know sometimes you need a day off just because
And the most horrible terrible awful unbelievable of all
9) there is, counting kindergarten, at least 13 years of this.
School was okay.
There were fun new things everyday.
And there was so much to learn.
It was exciting!
But still there was that “you have to go to school everyday” rule.
The little girl realized why schools have fences around them.
They are prisons.