This is going to be a bit of a rant. Just bear with me until I get it all out.
- In October the app I used to keep track of my checking and savings account disappeared. One day it was there and the next, poof, gone. Even the files in my folders were gone. Seems the app I was using no longer supported the free version and it was deleted. It is possible, even probable, that they tried to contact me but I had the thing for ten years or so and in that time my email changed more than once so…my bad. I did manage to reconcile the accounts. It’s not like I have a lot of money to keep track of but it was a bother.
- Then I looked for another app. Another bother sorting through a lot of nonsense to find one that doesn’t just record transaction but that can also be used to reconcile. I prevailed and found one and started using it in November. All was well or so I thought.
- On January 3 my computer was updated. A Windows 10 update.
- On January 4 I went to the new app to add a transaction. To my surprise, there was no app. The box that popped up said the app could not be opened and I should notify the system admin to reinstall or repair. That would be me.
- Okay, I spent an hour trying to figure out what to do. The fact that the new app had disappeared like the old one made me a little angry. They did have my current email.
- After spending almost another hour with the Virtual Assistant with no success I was told I needed to speak to a person.
- I signed in to do that and was #21 in line. Only took about 20 minutes and a person typed hello and off we went. Took about 15 minutes for her to decide that the problem was because of the update. Seems it wiped out a bunch of Microsoft apps. That didn’t matter to me. I don’t use those apps except for the money one.
- It took about an hour to do what needed to be done and all the apps were back and functioning except for, you guessed it, the money app. Then the connection was broken. It was now 2:30 am. I went to bed.
- Today, I uninstalled the update and went to the previous version of Windows 10 that I have been using. The icon for the money app popped up on my taskbar. \O/
- However, when I clicked on it it would flash the home screen and then, yep, disappear.
- I uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Same thing happened. I said bye-bye and went looking for another app.
- Took over an hour but I found a free one…there are lots you have to pay for with the features I want but not so with the free ones.
- I have the new one installed and have January set up. And I have a headache.
What I don’t understand is that the Microsoft apps went away but not the Google stuff. Windows 10 is a Microsoft product and it wipes out its own apps. Weird.
I have not been a happy camper the last couple of days. Computers as wonderful as they are can be a pain in the butt! Of course, I could simply take care of the bank stuff with a paper check register and pencil but I am a woman of the 21st century! I am not an old fuddy-duddy clinging to the past.
Okay, end of rant. I feel better. Thanks for reading.
Resume your regular scheduled blogging.