This is going to be a bit of a rant. Just bear with me until I get it all out.
- In October the app I used to keep track of my checking and savings account disappeared. One day it was there and the next, poof, gone. Even the files in my folders were gone. Seems the app I was using no longer supported the free version and it was deleted. It is possible, even probable, that they tried to contact me but I had the thing for ten years or so and in that time my email changed more than once so…my bad. I did manage to reconcile the accounts. It’s not like I have a lot of money to keep track of but it was a bother.
- Then I looked for another app. Another bother sorting through a lot of nonsense to find one that doesn’t just record transaction but that can also be used to reconcile. I prevailed and found one and started using it in November. All was well or so I thought.
- On January 3 my computer was updated. A Windows 10 update.
- On January 4 I went to the new app to add a transaction. To my surprise, there was no app. The box that popped up said the app could not be opened and I should notify the system admin to reinstall or repair. That would be me.
- Okay, I spent an hour trying to figure out what to do. The fact that the new app had disappeared like the old one made me a little angry. They did have my current email.
- After spending almost another hour with the Virtual Assistant with no success I was told I needed to speak to a person.
- I signed in to do that and was #21 in line. Only took about 20 minutes and a person typed hello and off we went. Took about 15 minutes for her to decide that the problem was because of the update. Seems it wiped out a bunch of Microsoft apps. That didn’t matter to me. I don’t use those apps except for the money one.
- It took about an hour to do what needed to be done and all the apps were back and functioning except for, you guessed it, the money app. Then the connection was broken. It was now 2:30 am. I went to bed.
- Today, I uninstalled the update and went to the previous version of Windows 10 that I have been using. The icon for the money app popped up on my taskbar. \O/
- However, when I clicked on it it would flash the home screen and then, yep, disappear.
- I uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Same thing happened. I said bye-bye and went looking for another app.
- Took over an hour but I found a free one…there are lots you have to pay for with the features I want but not so with the free ones.
- I have the new one installed and have January set up. And I have a headache.
What I don’t understand is that the Microsoft apps went away but not the Google stuff. Windows 10 is a Microsoft product and it wipes out its own apps. Weird.
I have not been a happy camper the last couple of days. Computers as wonderful as they are can be a pain in the butt! Of course, I could simply take care of the bank stuff with a paper check register and pencil but I am a woman of the 21st century! I am not an old fuddy-duddy clinging to the past.
Okay, end of rant. I feel better. Thanks for reading.
Resume your regular scheduled blogging.
24 thoughts on “A bit of a rant…”
Oh, I feel your pain. And, I detest reconciling the checkbook, but I am also obsessed with it. I just want to be able to keep an accurate record. Thankfully, my accountant created a program for me to do that. He is a saint. Hugs.
I have to have it reconciled to the penny or it drives me crazy! Not sure about the app yet. I may end up doing it the old-fashioned way.
I do that, too! It has to be to the penny! It has to be! *wink*
Good grief, I am just not up to using Apps! Still in dark ages. I can feel your pain.
It was a headache!
Have few aps and none for recording transactions. Just use an excel spreadsheet for that. After reading your rant, and may I say justifiable, I shall stick to my excel sheet.
I may go the excel way. I am not sure about the app. But I am really lazy and don’t like to do the math. This from a former accounts payable employee. Go figure.
I feel for you….but I loved the clever cat pics on your post.
The cats made me feel better. 🙂
OMW! How frustrating! I don’t use apps because I don’t want anything more to keep up with. I have Windows 10, as well. Some of the updates drive me crazy but I feel they are necessary to keep our information more secure. I have 3 computers with Win 10, and they all update at a different time. Go figure.
Frustrating is an understatement. But this is the first update that I have had problems with and hopefully, there won’t be more. I may just use Excel or Drive instead of the app to avoid future problems. Still pondering.
Not into apps. I’m running windows 8, though had the option for windows 10 when I bought this laptop. No thank you.
Don’t use microsoft if I can help it (free alternatives like Office) and I certainly don’t have the auto updates clicked or google chrome installed.
As for my accounts, I’m really sophisticated……. cash book and pencil, not an app in sight and no batteries either. 🙂
You may be smarter than me. I am thinking of going back to the old school way of keeping track.
I confess to keeping a spreadsheet for the house account and our food bill. Got to keep my hand in just in case I have to go back to work.
I use my bank’s “bill pay” feature for most of my transactions so I write only one or two checks a month. I have been stuck before with upgrades. Everything seems to go wonky for a while.
I use my bank’s bill pay feature but like to have a ledger I can reconcile. I may just create one in excel or Google drive. I am not sure the app is the way I want to go.
I’m worn out just reading this post. What a lot of work. Needless work.
Have a fabulous day. ♥
I was determined to win the war. Now I am looking again…not sure this is the one for me.
The pics are really funny, but spending so much time on one app surely must have been stressful. I keep my fingers crossed for you that this issue is solved FOREVER!
Maybe it is solved forever…or not. I am not sure if this is app is the answer so still looking off and on.
Oh my . . .you had so much patience. I loved the cat pics along the way to accentuate the story, and me . . .I am the fuddy duddy! Haha! And after hearing your story, I am going to stay a fuddy duddy! Haha!
I don’t know about patience but I am stubborn!
I was going to look for a new app for my bank account. After reading your tale of woe, I may not even look. How frustrating for you!
Maybe it won’t be a problem for you. As it is I may not keep this one. Still looking but not obsessing.
Comments are closed.